JEMP exists to:
- Provide disaster response and recovery services to the Victorian Jewish community, affected by major emergencies, through its component agencies, communal resources and personnel.
- Strengthen the Victorian Jewish community’s resilience to major emergencies
JEMP aims to strengthen community resilience (that is, restoring the community’s capacity to the same level or greater following a major emergency than its capacity prior to the emergency) by:
- Educating Jewish communal organisations and members of the Victorian Jewish community about preparing and planning for major emergencies;
- Eliminating or reducing the incidence or severity of emergencies and mitigating their effects;
- Implementing a coordinated community-based emergency management provider dealing with a major emergency that may affect Victorian Jewish communal organisations or a broad section of the Victorian Jewish community;
- Providing direct relief, where possible, to affected persons of the Victorian Jewish community by utilising the community’s resources in a prompt and efficient manner;
- Providing a single, central, Jewish communal point of contact in a major emergency for members of the public, community leaders, government agencies, organisations and emergency service organisations;
- Assisting emergency service organisations in dealing with issues affecting the Victorian Jewish community;
- Promoting the recovery of the Jewish way of the life to the Victorian Jewish community following a major emergency.